I'd like to take a moment in this post to extend a warm welcome to all of you, and especially to all of you heading over here from the Refresh Your Homeschool series at Year Round Homeschooling, and the Rekindling Your Joy series at Worshipful Living! We are just finishing up our January Examen series here at Full and Generous Life and let me tell you all...it was just a little intense for me. I feel like I just shared the-cream-of-everything-I-know-in-one-month. So those posts would be a great place to start if you really want to get a good in-depth overview of who I am. You can also, of course, check out the "About" page here on the website. If you'd like to connect on a more day-to-day level, go ahead and follow me on Instagram! I tend to share more everyday-life snapshots there. For homeschool ideas that are maybe beyond the scope of what I'm covering at the moment on the blog, follow us on Pinterest! And if you just want to stay in the loop with the latest blog posts, make sure you subscribe and "Like" us on facebook!
You'll also want to stay tuned next week, because I'll be putting up a fun new "freebie" for subscribers! With curriculum buying and homeschool convention "season" just around the corner, I thought February would be a great month to focus on curriculum options. So watch the blog next week for a handy curriculum "cheat sheet" to help you make the best choices for you and your children!
For today, I thought I'd keep things a little more light-hearted after all the deep-thinking I've been doing in the last month! So, to help you get to know me a little better, here are my short answers to 20 short (fun!) questions!
1. Why "Full and Generous Life"? The phrase "full and generous" caught my eye in Charlotte Mason's writings, in reference to the type of curriculum she wanted to give children. I thought, "why can't that apply to the rest of our lives too?"
2. Favorite color: Red to wear, green to decorate my home.
3. Favorite "thing": that beat-up leather satchel in the cover photo! I've had it since high school.
4. How long have you been married? It'll be 16 years this May.
5. How long have you known your husband? We're high school sweethearts - we met over 22 years ago!
6. How many kids do you have? 5, all boys.
7. Favorite read-aloud: Time of Wonder by Robert McCloskey
8. Favorite book: The Lord of the Rings trilogy.
9. Currently reading aloud: Little House on the Prairie
10. Currently reading for fun: Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis
11. Go-to beverage: organic Kona blend coffee (decaf only after 10am!)
12. Favorite grown-up beverage: a nice cold Moscow Mule, or Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout.
13. Favorite food: homemade vegan tacos when I'm feeling like being healthy, takeout sweet and sour chicken when I'm not! Oh, and I made Beef Wellington for the first time for Christmas dinner and it was pretty fabulous.
14. Favorite dessert: anything dark chocolate. The darker the better.
15. Favorite song: that changes frequently, but currently I'd have to say Borderlands by John Mark McMillan.
16. Something you might not know: I majored in French horn performance for two years before changing my major and transferring to a Christian college (probably not for the reasons you're thinking, but that's another blog post!). I even got to study a few times with world-renowned horn player Louis Stout, and he hand-picked my own horn for me from the factory.
17. Favorite piece of classical music: Mahler's Symphony No. 2, "The Resurrection"
18. Hobbies? Other than music and reading...my husband and I love to play tennis together. I also enjoy sewing but I don't get time to do it much! And fitness.
19. Biggest pet peeve: When I take all 5 kids to the grocery store and somebody thinks they're being totally funny and original when they say, "You know how that happens, right?" Duh.
20. Biggest win from 2016: transforming myself into a morning person!
Any other short questions you want to know? Shoot them my way in the comments! I'd also love to hear your answers to these questions, so share a little bit about yourself while you're at it! And don't forget to subscribe and stay tuned for our Curriculum Focus month coming up starting next week!